A New Life in Seattle

A New Life in Seattle
August, 2018

Monday, September 10, 2012

Review of Storm Damage by John A A Logan

My shelves are filled with books that I've enjoyed and liked--two words that are inadequate when dealing with this book.  It is, indeed, elemental.  At the end, I felt as if I'd been flown from Kansas to Katmandu by a five-star hurricane.  Deeply moved, shaken, awed:  these words come closer to what I felt when I slumped back, exhausted.

Storm Damage consists of ten superb examples of the prose jeweler's art.  Though unpaginated, each comes impressively close to ten percent of the overall length.  Is that important?  In a way.  It tells us right off that the author has a sense of structure that Franklin Lloyd Wright would have admired.  And this sense grows stronger as we proceed through the ten:  a witch's brew of genres from sci-fi to revenge/redemption to a mystical thriller about a small child to a rousing ghost story...Ten wildly disparate tales arranged into a perfect whole that leaves us winded and gasping:  That's life.

Five stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Just keep them civil, please.